Chicken is one of the most versatile ingredients for the preparation of a wide variety of dishes. Chicken Kasha is one such dish which is widely cooked in eastern part of India. There are different versions of this dish. Here I have presented my version of Chicken Kasha. This is cooked with some basic ingredients and relished mostly with Chapati/ Roti.
1. 1Kg Chicken cut into medium or small pieces as preferred.
2. 3 medium size finely chopped Onions.
3. 3 Tbsp of Ginger Garlic paste (The proportion of Garlic and Ginger should be 80% and 20% respectively.)
4. 2 medium size finely chopped Tomatoes.
5. 1 spoon turmeric powder.
6. One spoon Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder.
1. 1 Tsp Cumin seeds.
2. 4 to 5 black pepper corn.
3. 2 to 3 green cardamoms.
4. 4 to 5 cloves.
5. 1 one inch cinnamon.
(I have grounded all these dry Spices along with Ginger and Garlic)
1. Prepare all the ingredients.
2. Let’s put a kadai on the flame and put 2 Tbsps of refined oil once the kadai gets hot.
3. Now, let’s put the chopped onions into the hot oil.
4. For adding some colour to the dish I have put turmeric powder and red chilli powder in hot oil and fry them along with onions till the onions become red.
5. Now, let’s put the finely chopped Tomatoes into the kadai and fry it with onions for 4 to 5 minutes till they soften.
6. Now, let’s put the Ginger Garlic and Dry Spices mixed masala paste into the kadai and mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
7. Fry the masalas in high-medium flame by continuous stirring till oil separates. This will take 15 to 20 minutes. We have to put little amount of water in between for avoiding burning of masalas.
8. Once oil separates from masala, let’s put chicken and salt as per taste into the kadai.
9. Now, let’s mix the chicken with all the masalas till they are thoroughly coated. Then cover the kadai and put it on slow flame till Chicken releases all it’s juice.
10. Keep the kadai covered and let the chicken cook in it’s own juice for some time. Chicken takes very less time to cook. So one should keep checking the chicken, otherwise it will be over cooked.
11. Let’s uncover the kadai and fry the chicken on high flame till all it’s juice is evaporated and oil separates from it.
12. Chicken Kasha is ready and you can relish it along with Chapati/Roti.