Cooking is all about doing experiments. This recipe is also a sort of experiment done by me and my wife on a lazy Sunday evening, resulting into a wonderful dish. The ingredients of this recipe are:
1. 1 Kg Chicken without skin cut in small pieces.
2. 3 medium size chopped onions.
3. 100 gms. of garlic.
4. 1 inch ginger finely chopped.
5. 1 medium size finely chopped Tomato.
6. 2 bay leaves.
7. 4 to 5 black pepper corns.
8. 3 to 4 green cardamom.
9. 1 inch cinnamon.
10. 3 to 4 cloves.
11. One spoon turmeric powder.
12. One spoon kashmiri red chilli powder.
13. A bunch of coarsely chopped fresh coriander and mint leaves.
14. Three tablespoon refined/ mustard oil.
15. Salt as per taste.
You would know, why I have named it Lazy chicken curry once you go through the process. Here I have skipped one of the most strenuous part of doing chicken curry and that is preparing masala by bhunoing the ingredients through continuous stirring for a considerable amount of time. So here is the process for this wonderful dish.
1. Prepare all the ingredients.
2. Put a kadai on high flame and put the refined oil, once the kadai gets hot.
3. Now put all the whole dry spices in the oil and fry them for some seconds on medium flame. Be careful not to burn them.
2. Now put all other ingredients like, chicken, onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilly powder, salt, coriander and mint leaves and give them a good mix.
3. Now let’s cover the kadai and let the chicken and other ingredients cook in the juice released by them in slow flame.
4. After about 15 to 20 minutes, remove the cover of the kadai and fry the chicken on high flame till all the juice is removed and oil separates from the chicken. This will take nearly 10 to 15 minutes.
5. This is the speciality of this recipe. We don’t need to do bhunoing masala and chicken one after the other respectively. Here I have done it simultaneously. Thus I have saved both time and energy.
6. In the meantime, boil water (as per your preference for gravy) on another pot.
7. Now let’s put this boiling water into the chicken and again cover the kadai and let the chicken cook till it gets tender.
8. This is it. The chicken curry is prepared. You can transfer the chicken curry to a serving bowl and relish it with hot roti/ chapati or rice.