Chhena or popularly known as Paneer is the unprocessed cheese of Raw milk from cow or water buffalo. The preparation of Chhena/ Paneer is pretty simple. The raw milk is first boiled and then some drops of Lemon or Vinegar is added to this. After some time the milk starts to coagulate forming lumps. These lumps or Chhena are then collected by straining through a strainer or a cheese cloth.
A wide variety of delicious dishes and desserts are made from Chhena. In this blog, I will prepare Chhena/ Paneer Bhurji, a widely popular dish, relished all over India in a simple manner.
First of all the Ingredients, to be used for the preparation of this dish are as follows:
- Chhena/ Paneer (250gms)( You can prepare this chhena at home or you can purchase from market. The paneer that is being sold in the market are quite firm and comes in large pieces. You can shred the large pieces as required for this dish.
- One table spoon refined oil.
- One medium size finely chopped Onion.
- 10 to 12 cloves of finely chopped Garlic.
- One medium size finely chopped Tomato .
- One medium size capsicum chopped into medium sized chunks.
- One medium size finely chopped carrot.
- One teaspoon turmeric powder.
- One teaspoon black pepper powder.
- One teaspoon coriander powder.
- One to two whole dry red chillys.
- And finally salt as per taste.Process:-
- Lets take a wok/kadai and put it on flame. Now put refined oil once the wok/kadai gets hot.
- Now lets put Dry red chillys and then finely chopped garlic into the hot oil.
- After the garlic turn a little red, lets put finely chopped onion and turmeric powder into the wok/kadai. fry the onion till it turns transparent.
- Now lets put tomato and fry it for one to two minutes in high flame and then put finely chopped carrots into the pan. Now cover the wok/kadai and let it cook for 5 minutes in slow flame. The carrots will be cooked in the moisture released by itself and tomato.
- Now lets put capsicum into the wok/ kadai. I have put carrots ahead of capsicum, because carrots need more time to cook than capsicum. Then lets cover the pan and leave it for 5 minutes on slow flame.
- After 5 minutes, lets put our main ingredient, chhena/ Paneer into the wok/ kadai along with coriander powder, black pepper powder and salt as per taste. Mix all the ingredients and again cover the wok/kadai for five to seven minutes on slow flame. During this period chhena/paneer will release the extra moisture it contains and will help in further cooking the carrots and capsicum.
- After 5 to 7 minutes remove the cover and fry the dish on high flame till all the moistures are gone. Now turn off the gas. Remember not to fry it more as the chhena/ paneer may get burnt.
- Preparation of Chhena/ Paneer Bhurji is now done and now you can garnish the dish with some finely chopped coriander leaves and relish it with hot chapatis/rotis.